Tuesday, March 18, 2008

OVERREACTING OR NOT?

Hi all,

My 3 yr old son is in his cousin's bridal train and the wedding is taking place in Texas. He is scheduled to travel with my hubby at the end of the month. I can't attend coz the date clashes with a course i am taking. I have been feeling so despondent coz this is the first time he will be away from me for more than 2 hours.

Initially i didn't want him to go but my hubby was upset coz i was implying he couldn't take care of his son. That wasn't my intention at all. Men don't understand the bond between a mother and a child. I just know no one can take care of him like i would. Anyway after much ado, i have finally given my blessing but i am still having sleepless nights about the trip.

I don't know if this a normal reaction. A part of me feels i am overreacting but my motherly instincts tell me i am on point. This experience has made me wonder how i would react to bigger issues and decisions in my son's life like dating, college and eventually marriage. Right now i am acting so protective even though his dad is taking him. I have been going over their itinerary in Texas like I'm studying for my PHD and making fastidious notes on how to care for our son. My hubby has been taking my anxiety in stride but i know he'll soon lose his patience. My hubby is a great dad. He gives the kids baths, feeds them, puts them to bed, etc. I really shouldn't be worried but i just can't help myself.

I guess subconsciously i am also envious of my hubby being there to see our little man in a bridal train and i won't. I am jealous coz i won't be there to share that experience with him. God help me coz i can't help myself. I have been hoping the days go slow so that day would still be far away but i know it is inevitable.

My hubby says i should enjoy the one week without all three kids. I know the stress would be less but I'll miss my boy. Is this a normal reaction or am i overreacting?

Cheers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No you are not! It must not be easy since it is the first time. Try to enjoy your me time, study, go get a mani/pedi, more sleep time, if all that fails, call them 24/7 and ask them to send you video and picture messages too !! Don't worry ur hubby will take good care of the kids, If you can't take it, try and make the wedding day itself so as not to miss the special moment.

mum said...

it's good to know i am not crazy. My hubby is actually taking only our first son. the other 2 will be home wiv me so no me time. He just wants me to enjoy having only 2 kids instead of three for a week(like there is much difference).