Friday, March 14, 2008

CONTRACEPTIVES AND WEIGHT GAIN

Hi all,

I wrote some time back that i have been battling to lose 25 pounds. The battle has not been easy. I actually lost a few inches here and there but the weight numbers have refused to budge. I have been so frustrated. I exercise religiously, i try to eat right(though i munch on my kids' cookies once in a while) but i feel i should have lost at least a pound by now.

Anyway i had an appointment for my Depo shot(contraceptive) yesterday. I complained about my weight to my doctor and he said it's the contraceptive(i knew that before but i thought it would be different for me). He explained that its not easy to lose weight while on the injection coz of the hormones in it. I wasn't happy about that but i don't want to have another baby(three is enough for me). I hear the pills do the same too so that is not an alternative. I just want to lose 25 pounds. i have tried starving but it's foolhardy especially coz I'm breastfeeding. Maybe i should settle for abstinence-even though part of my effort to lose weight is to to be more attractive to my hubby. That is so ironic.

I actually used the IUD after my second child and still got pregnant with my third so i guess i only have 3 choices -eat much less, get fat or get pregnant(which will make me fat). If it comes to it i choose the first. It's a sacrifice i will make for my well being so i can live long and be more active in my children's' lives. It's a tough call coz i love food but what can i do?

So is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Cheers

7 comments:

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Maybe you could try doing a cleanse? like the Master's Cleanse, or if you've read the book French Women Don't Get Fat, she talks about the Leek Soup Cleanse. It would probably jump start your metabolism!

mum said...

Didn't know bout that diet just checked it out. I really can't do it now coz i am breastfeeding but i will sure give it a try when i stop. Thanks alot

Anonymous said...

err, what about adding exercise to the diet?

Anonymous said...

Stay away from Depot!! :). I am experiencing the same thing. I have stopped taking it, I am looking into Mirena. I am back to natural family planning!! I like the idea of a cleanse, but they are all kinda of funny, maple syrup with pepper!, Soup. I think I am going to try some fruit or veggie detox, that I can stomach. I can't wait to hear people's suggestions cos I need am to.

mum said...

hey dees's mum
i used the copper T but still got pregnant wiv my third baby. and it's just like mirena. When i stop breast feeding, i'll do the 2 weeks cleanse and then just change my eating habits. Alot of experts agree that a change of life style is what works not a particular diet.

Anonymous said...

Na wa oo, What do we do, anyways let me know of any thing, I really thought IUD's were full proof, if u were not looking into kids for a couple of years. What is the 2 weeks cleanse? I started watching what I eat, eating fruit when I am hungry, which is a little difficult cos I don't like that many fruits, but so far so good, need to start working out.

Unknown said...

I don't know what type of pill you were looking into, but I've been on pills on and off for over 10 years and I didn't experience any weight gain with them, i used Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Seasonale and now i'm on Ortho Tri Cylen-Lo (actually I think this made me lose weight initially) Most women I know who are on oral contraceptives haven't gained weight either. So I'd recommend the pills.