Monday, February 25, 2008

1 CORINTHIANS13, VERSES 4-7

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres".

Paul gave an eloquent description of love in this verse. I am so grateful for this verse in the bible because it reiterated God's purpose for marriage to me. I was at a very low point this weekend. I had verbal a fight with my hubby and lots of ugly words were said. I was so cross that i went into the malice mode. I decided to stay away and just reevaluate everything in my head.

I am sure most married couples have had those days when they wished they were not married or just wanted to get out and run away as far as they can get. That was how i felt this weekend. A lot of thoughts went through my head - both good and bad. I was just so mad. I was so angry with the way things were that i just didn't give myself time to reason.

I have learnt from experience that when you allow it, the devil comes into your life to destroy. My hubby and i allowed the devil into our marriage that day because we were both out of control with words. I thank God for his words because even when i was at my lowest i remembered 1 Corinthians 13,4-7. I asked my self if i loved my hubby the way Paul described it and i realised i did but had not demonstrated it in my actions.

I decided to put that verse into action and by so, abide by the word of God. So i shoved Anger aside, swallowed my Pride, imbibed Patience, and decided to Protect my family from the devil. I called my hubby and we talked and worked things out. It felt so exhilarating especially when i had the weapon of the words of God working with and for me. We both acknowledged our faults, apologized for the words used and of course had make up ---( keep guessing).

I know there are days when we all feel so overwhelmed by life's challenges and we just take it out on our partners. There are also times we have questioned why we got married but know that marriage is a good thing and it is meant to be blissful if we just put aside our pride and imbibe what God says pertaining love.

Cheers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey you!!
i totally feel this post! just got married lke less than 70 days ago! and i know how terrible a verbal fight can leave one!


living abroad makes things both easy and hard! easy becasue nobody sees the struggle after having a 'fantastic' wedding costing your parents millions of naira but hard because every darn thing is paid for including the bloody tv licence,

maybe you could develop a routine where the kids clear up after themselves? help you in the kitchen? oldest look after the youngest? type thing- not sure how old they are but i sure know i started washing plates at 9. though i'm sure my older sibs went thru all the hardwork earlier..; also maybe u and ur hubby can make a concious effort to get up like an hour earlier-say 5? before the kids are up and just chill- cuddle,make love... drink coffee what ever- just build that time in!!

craving having a kid cos i thnk its time but knowing we can't exactly afford it...i hope this wont be me blogging in a few years after having 3kids!!lol, my hubby says he knows i cant even be a house wife!!

goodluck and keep us posted
Sdragon

mum said...

My kids are ages 3,2 and 6 months. Its really hard. I never thot i could be a stay at home mum too but day care is so expensive. It's a blessing to have kids but my dear the challenges are huge. God help us.

soki said...

My dear sister,I feel you.I thank God for his words that he has given us in that great book called the Bible.I also thank you for opening your for that beatiful verse to get in and for you to quickly shelve your pride aside and apply God's wisdom to solve that problem becos things like that can lead to something else,and we end up regretting but
girl, that is not our portion in Jesus name AMEN'''.God instituted marriage,he will continue to guard and protect us during the good and bad times.

mum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.