Thursday, February 21, 2008

"OYO" (ON YOUR OWN)

Hi all,

Living abroad brings a new meaning to the the phrase "on your own". I have been so nostalgic for the past couple of days. I long to go home and get some help i need with the kids. Now i know how priceless it is to have my family around me. I am a now a true believer in -"it takes a village to raise a child".

You can imagine, i was down with a fever, my hubby too was ill and my three kids all had the bug but i still had to brace myself to take care of everyone and do all the chores in the house. I thank God that i even have an understanding man who helped out too. If i was back in Nigeria my mum, mum-in-law and my sisters would have at least offered to help with the kids or house chores. My hobby and i were totally on our own. We called on a couple of friends but no one came coz they were all busy working thier asses off to pay bills or send money home.

Most of us came here for greener pastures but sometimes you have to wonder how green these pastures really are. Most of us are just languishing in debt. Yes we buy houses, cars etc but are they really assets? Well nooooo! As long as we are paying mortages, these houses are more or less liabilities. Sometimes i question my self. At what expense did i leave the luxury of having my family and true friends around me? The only conclusion i come to is to give my children better opportunities in life. Well i guess that is the greatest sacrifice of all.

I really miss home and i am so so home sick right now. I need my mummy too. I miss her so much.

Cheers

1 comment:

soki said...

she all feel that way too,so just know that you are not the only in that boat.I remember when i was home last month,i had the previledge of leaving my daughter with my sisters and parent and go have fun with my husband and friends without wondering of her or what she is doing,knowing that she is in good hands.
Sister,that is what drives me home all the time.That is why i enjoy going home to have a break.